Guidelines for Using the Exelon Patch
Review these tips for applying or wearing the Exelon Patch:
- Use Exelon Patch exactly as instructed by your loved one's healthcare provider.
- Exelon Patches come in 3 different dosage strengths.
- Your loved one's healthcare provider may change the dose as needed.
- Only 1 Exelon Patch should be worn at a time.
- Exelon Patch is for skin use only
- Only apply Exelon Patch to healthy skin that is clean, dry, hairless, and free of redness, irritation, burns or cuts.
- Avoid applying Exelon Patch to areas on your loved one's body that will be rubbed against tight clothing.
- Do not apply Exelon Patch to skin that has cream, lotion, or powder on it.
- Change your loved one's Exelon Patch every 24 hours at the same time of day. You may write the date and time on the Exelon Patch with a ballpoint pen before applying the patch to help you remember when to remove it.
- Change the application site every day to avoid skin irritation. You can use the same area, but do not use the exact same spot for at least 14 days after the last application.
- Check to see if the Exelon Patch has become loose when your loved one is bathing, swimming, or showering.
- Exelon Patch is designed to deliver medication during the time it is worn. If your loved one's Exelon Patch falls off before its usual replacement time, put on a new Exelon Patch right away. Replace the new patch the next day at the same time as usual. Do not use overlays, bandages, or tape to secure an Exelon Patch that has become loose or try to reapply an Exelon Patch that has fallen off.
- If your loved one misses a dose or you forget to change their Exelon Patch apply their next Exelon Patch as soon as you remember. Do not apply 2 Exelon Patches to make up for the missed dose.
- If your loved one misses more than 3 doses of applying Exelon Patch, call the healthcare provider before putting on a new Exelon Patch. Your loved one may need to re-start Exelon Patch at a lower dose.
- Always remove the old Exelon Patch from the previous day before a new one is applied.
Each patch is sealed in its own protective pouch. You should only open the pouch when you are ready to apply the Exelon Patch.
Before applying the patch, make sure the skin is:
- Clean and hairless
- Free of any powder, oil, moisturizer, or lotion (that could keep the patch from sticking to your skin properly)
- Free of cuts, rashes, or irritations
Only one Exelon Patch should be worn at a time.
For step by step instructions click here: